The cricket ground at Reforne was originally called 'Jordans' or, 'Jordan', and the still conspicuous 'ridge and furrow' patterning the sward suggests its long history of cultivation. Each ridge according to farming practice, was approximately four poles wide, or rather fittingly, twenty two yards. Separating each ridge was a shallow furrow. Cereals were grown on top of the ridges where the soil was deepest.
Such undulations have always been a hindrance to play. The Reforne ground is underlain at varying depths by rafts of limestone. It appears that 'Jordan' was used briefly before the First World War by the Navy as a training ground. In those days a spawl built wall ran parallel with Reforne and a simple wire fence spanned the western side. In terms of cultivation, Dan Pearce once told how he can well remember the field bordering the cricket ground to the north, being planted with wheat in 1923.
The land at Reforne has never been owned by the Red Triangle Club, but instead by either the Stone Firms or the Crown (now under lease from the Y.M.C.A.). Work on the Reforne ground began in approximately 1921 when the services of Engineer and Surveyor Ballantine were obtained. Ballantine was working at the Easton Stone works at the time and he gave up a fair amount of his time to measure out a thirty yard square for the wicket.
It was originally intended that the square should be perfectly level, but such was the slope of the ground that this has proved to be impracticable. Finances were raised in the usual ways and the Sexton of St. Georges Church was empowered to turf the new square. Sexton Hitchcock duly laid one half of the square with best grave-side turves, however, when the money ran out the job was left for less expert hands to complete. Dan Pearce recalls the frequent breaking of stump-points when they came into contact with the occasional spawl left beneath the sward. In the dry summer of 1923, many of the newly laid turves had corners ticking up like dried-up sandwiches. It is worthy of note that all the water in those days had to be carried up from the main hall at Reforne.