Portland Red Triangle CC

Founded 1922

prtcc logo prtcc clubmark
PRT Saturday 2nd XI vs Martinstown 2nd XI
Played at Reforne, Portland, 8th July 2017
Dorset Funeral Plan Division 5
PRT won by 4 wickets
Toss won by:


PRT Man of the Match

Dave Adkins


Triangle 2nds won a thrilling contest at Reforne, that went down to the final ball of the game, to chase down 183.

On a baking hot day, with a light breeze at Reforne, George Munro won the toss and condemned his side to the field. This didn't look the wisest of decisions as Martinstown started at a fine pace, adding 60 runs in the opening 14 overs.

A change of bowling did the trick as Tony Morris made it 5 games in a row where he's struck in his first over, as the hard-hitting Reynolds' slog sweep went straight to Munro at deep mid wicket. Ryan Price (0/22) once again bowled a tight spell down the hill, ending wicketless, but helped stem the flow of runs.

Young Finlay Williams fell next, fending off a rising ball from Morris and Munro dived to his left to take a superb one-handed catch. Nathan Cornish had replaced Price and struck immediately trapping Bishop in front of middle stump, even if the bowler wasn't convinced enough to appeal, the keeper and slip cordon went up as one to prompt the umprire to raise his finger.

Morris found the edge twice, but both catches went down behind the stumps, Jack Marsh spilling a dolly at first slip. He was replaced up the hill by young Marsh, but he was unlucky not to add to his season's wicket tally. Down the slope, Cornish continued to make hay and he finally broke the resistance of Maltby, just after he'd reached his fifty, the young batsman edging a slow bouncer and Munro held on with his right hand to complete his "holy trinity".

Skipper Matt Rimmer had kept the score ticking with a quick 17, but was cleaned up by Cornish as he finished with 3/27.

Martinstown rallied to launch a counter-attack in the final 7 overs, adding nearly 50 runs. Their progress was briefly halted as Dawson walked after edging behind off Munro. Young Jamie Stewart then unleashed a variety of strokes, including a cheeky scoop shot for 4 much to the annoyance of Triangle's captain. The visitors finished on 183 from their 40 overs, probably 20-30 more than they looked like getting earlier in the innings.

After tea, in-form batsmen Price and Tim Forshaw were sent to open, but Triangle were soon in trouble as Price sliced a catch to point. Forshaw followed soon after, Maltby taking a fine low catch as the home side were rocking at 30/2.

Dave Adkins and Grant Lee looked to rebuild the innings, taking the score to 60 before Lee was caught by Bishop off Rimmer for 8. Triangle made it to drinks with 68 on the board, only 11 behind Martinstown at the same stage. Whisker had now joined Adkins, and despite being hampered by his toe injury, the pair pushed on to 100, until Whisker's restricted movement meant he was unable to keep out a straight one.

The skipper was next up and with Adkins continuing to carry the burden of scoring reaching a gritty half-century, and they pushed on to 155, moving Triangle back into contention. Rimmer then removed his opposite number, bringing Morris to the middle.

The pair added a quick 13, despite Morris only able to connect with one delivery, crashing Rimmer through the covers for 4. He was bowled by Bishop with 16 still required for victory. Cornish joined Adkins, and with an over remaining it was set up for a tense finish.

Rimmer entrusted himself with the final over, dispatching his men to martial the boundaries. Adkins took 5 from the first 3 balls, then Cornish bludgeoned a boundary and managed to scramble a single to give Dave one ball to win the match. With 6 runs required, a juicy half-volley was served up by Rimmer allowing Adkins to swing for the ropes, the ball sailed over the fence as the Triangle team spilled onto the pitch. Dave Adkins finished on a magnificent unbeaten 93, as Triangle kept up the pressure on leaders Swanage.


PRT 18, Martinstown 8