Tribute by Steve White


Derek Tizard, or Henry, as he was and still is universally known, joined Triangle in 1962 and played for the club until the end of 1974 when he left the Island to live at Wyke Regis and subsequently play for Wellworthy. He was a popular, enthusiastic and first rate club cricketer who was also always willing to lend a hand off the field.

As a right-handed batsman, who usually opened the innings, but sometimes went in at No. 4, which some thought was his best position, he soon built a reputation amongst our opponents as the man they were most pleased to see retreating to the pavilion. He became one of the most reliable run-getters the Club has had, being our leading batsman from 1965 until he the left the Club, more often than not topping the averages at the end of the season. Henry's best season was in 1970 when he amassed what was, at the time, a record aggregate of runs for Triangle in a season - 873.

His technique could not be described as textbook, but his "good eye" and swiftness of movement enabled him to get into position early for his shots and he was extremely effective. He was able to score all round the wicket, not restricted to one area, but it is probably true to say that a good proportion of his runs came from strokes between extra cover and backward point and behind square leg.

For several seasons his opening partner was "Dickie" Diment, a left-hander, and they together laid many a good foundation to the innings. Henry was much like a greyhound between the wickets and, whilst "Dickie" was not as fast, their judgment and calling of quick singles seemed intuitive and the opposing fielders, particularly in the Evening League, often seemed rattled by these tactics.

He was an outstanding fielder, usually at cover point or mid off/mid on and possibly the swiftest fielder the Club has had, with a good arm and a very safe pair of hands. There was however one very rare occasion when Henry had an off day. This was at Crewekerne and he dropped three catches, one a sitter and had to suffer some leg-pulling. After the game, when he returned to the coach, his young daughter, no more than four years old, who had benn suitably primed by one of his colleagues, ran to him and asked, "Do you want a bucket Daddy?". It took a while to live that down.

Henry turned his arm over occasionally, bowling either slow, medium or off-spin and although not proving excessively expensive, it was sometimes noticeable that the batsmen seemed not unhappy when he came on. Perhaps an apt description of his bowling would be "optimistic slow-medium".

One occasion which he still remembers with a wry smile was the Club single wicket competition in either 1972 or '73. He and Frank Knight reached the Final and Frank, having been put in, was out to the first ball of the innings. This left Henry needing only to survive one ball to win. However, he completely missed the first one, a good length ball which would have taken middle stump, was rapped on the pads and plumb LBW. To cap all this Frank Knight won the replay.

Henry served on the Committee for several seasons and was Club Treasurer for two years in the early 1970's, becoming Captain in 1971.